“Apple of my Eye” Meaning / Definition
This phrase is used to indicate intense love or affection for someone or something. When you call someone or something the “apple of your eye,” it indicates that you think highly of them and have a particular place in your heart for them.
If you want to give more value to a person than another one then you can call him/her the “Heart’s delight”.
In a more general meaning, the phrase can also be used to describe anything that is much liked or preferred among several possibilities. Saying something is the “apple of their eye” might be used, for example, to describe a place, thing, or concept that holds unique meaning or value for the speaker.
Let’s explore a list of synonyms, Antonyms and best sayings for the idiom like “Heart’s delight” and much more interesting ahead.
“Apple of my Eye” Origin
After doing hours of research behind the history of the phrase I came to this stage to tell you that the origin of the idiom “Apple of the eye” is said to be from the king Alfred of Wessex called Gregory’s Pastoral Care, around 880 C.E.
I had found one more clue that this idiom was also used by William Shakespeare in the play of A Midsummer Night’s Dream in 1595/96.
- Flower of this purple dye,
- Hit with Cupid’s archery,
- Sink in the apple of his eye.
The origin of the phrase is around 11000 years old. If we follow Shakespeare then it is around 425 years old.
Similar phrases to “Apple of the eyes”
“Apple of my Eye” Related idioms
Examples: “Apple of my eye or Beloved” in Context
- From the moment we met, you became the apple of the eye, the one I’ve been waiting for all my life.
- In a world full of faces, your smile is the one that stands out—the true apple of the eye, my heart’s greatest delight.
- As we navigate the journey of love together, you are not just a partner; you are the apple of the eye, the love that completes me.
- With her constant giggles that fill our house, my daughter is unquestionably the apple of the eye and my greatest source of pride and affection.
- My son is the pride of my life as a father, and his achievements are a reflection of the happiness and contentment he offers to me.
- Through thick and thin, you’ve been the apple of the eye, my confidant, and the person who understands me like no one else does.
- Our friendship is a rare gem, and you are truly the apple of the eye. Your presence makes every moment brighter and more meaningful.
“Apple of my Eye or Beloved” Synonyms
According to Collins: Following are the some synonyms to the idiom “ Apple of the eye”
According to Power Thesaurus: Here are some of the synonyms for this idiom.
“Apple of my eye” antonyms
According to the Thesaurus: here are some of the antonyms of the idiom “ Apple of the eye”
“Apple of the Eye or Sweetheart” Quotes/Sayings
1. What is another way to say the “Apple of the eye”?
Another way to express the sentiment of the “Apple of the eyes” is to say:
“The center of my affection” or “The object of my fondness., “Beloved”.
2. What is the idiom of the “Apple of your eye”?
The idiom “Apple of your eye” refers to a person or thing that is extremely dear and cherished. It’s often used to express deep affection or love for someone special
3. Is “Beloved” metaphor?
Yes, “Beloved” is considered a metaphorical expression.
Discover thought-provoking insights from Haji Khan on Optimumchoicehub, your source for top-tier solutions. As a skilled and experienced writer he craft captivating stories that invite you to engage, learn, and see the world anew.